View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #86
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I really don't like giving ebooks/movies/music as gifts, even a £X voucher doesn't sit well with me. If I'm going to give someone 30 amazon or itunes voucher, I may as well give them it in cash so they're not tied to those two stores to spend it on and, well, giving cash for a present feels cheap* even if it amounts to more money than the actual gift I end up giving

Still, I'm much happier getting a CD or BluRay for Christmas than a digital version since it's trivial to rip to stick on a home server or pop into my itunes library and I get the advantage of a lossless rip leaving room for conversion to future codecs without loss. Something I couldn't do with a digital download gift and mainly, it's still nice to unwrap something**

For books though, I don't really want people to buy me books anymore (physical) as I'm 100% ebook now and for similar reasons as I gave, people don't want to buy me ebooks as a gift. So books are now no longer used for presents.

I wonder if that's a common trend? I think it's something that will go away in time though, giving gift certificates/vouchers or even arranging ebook delivery to occur on Christmas day with a special message will become as accepted as a gift under the tree. It'll take time though, we hold onto traditions and unwrapping something physical will take a long time to change***

* before I'm ripped to pieces, it's IMHO only. I'm not saying it IS cheap, but I don't like giving it, I like to find something i know the person will enjoy and give that instead. It's partly how I feel and also the people I'm giving to. Just to be clear, i'm not saying others who give gift certs are been cheap etc.

** Oddly, I have no issue giving a "ticket" to some event such as Disney on Ice.

*** For the majority, I'm sure there are people on here and elsewhere who've already switched

Last edited by JoeD; 12-11-2012 at 09:28 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote