View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #125
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Also in French we have something very annoying for dictionaries, and it's indeed not handled by the French Larousse dictionary found in the Kobo : s', l', m', t' that can precedes a verb or a noun. For example, abris -》l'abris. If I put l'abris as a variant of abris, as far as I understood, it won't work (as it didn't with go/went).
I cannot see that this should be a major problem. Usually the main entries of dictionaries do not contain, for instance, articles. You would not expect to find "the sun" in an English dictionary, or "le soleil" in a French dictionary. So why would you expect to find "l'abri(s)"? Putting all possible combinations into the dictionary would increase it considerably, as you said:
Quote:
Maybe a file l'.html would work (as shown in the o'clock example), but it would contain a lot if words, basically all the nouns and verbs starting with a vowel.
Therefore, if there is really a need to take care of "l'abri", "s'attarder" and so on this would be better done by the software by removing l', s', qu' and so on while searching. And the KT does this already in a simple way. If you point your finger on "l'heure" it will auto-select "heure" and the correct definition will pop up. I found only a few expressions in the Larousse that would get "lost" in this way, namely "qu'en-dira-t-on", "c'est-à-dire" and "m'as-tu-vu". There might be some more cases, but I think this mechanism works in general rather well. To my mind, adding all l'-expressions and so on would be more pain than gain.
Quote:
... what I don't know is what the mobipocket dictionary format looks like, but I think it doesn't belong in this thread, I'll do some research
If you did not find anything that worked for you you can try converting it with calibre to epub. This will give you one or several (x)html files. However, I did not try it myself.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote