View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
prd0
prd0 began at the beginning.

Device: stanza, calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Calibre has to store copies of all your ebooks in it's own directory structure. You can't change this structure. Your original ebooks are still where they are in your original directories. Calibre does data manipulation on its own copies.
Yes. But I don't want 2 exact copies on my hard drive. 2GB data is not small. Double that, and you'll get 4GB, not to mention it's extracting cover pages. Is there any way to alleviate that? It also slows down searches. And I don't want to delete and re-create all calibre folders everytime I start it. It took painfully slow. And finding a single book within 500 folders jungle is very hard. And it is not 500 folders, more like 1000 folders for 500 books. Folders are made to make search easier, categorize, and divide files. Not to make finding specific file more difficult. If you put a file in a folders in a filing cabinet, would you arrange it so that you can make it harder to search than piling it on top of your table?
I have tried to replace authors with VOY/TNG/JADE or something resembling the series, but that would erase the author information, permanently.

If it really needs to arrange the book that way, can't it make a smaller shortcut? It utilize SqlLite, can't it store its information on SQL instead of rearranging and duplicating my books?

Quote:
If you don't want to read Calibre's copies with Calibre, after you convert or edit a book in Calibre, do a "Save to Disk" and save it where you want it in your old, original library folders. Then read your books from your original folders. Or, do a "Send to Device", and the file with the updated tags and such will appear correctly on your reading device.
I can't send to device with calibre. It didn't recognize an iphone. The only way to get my books are using bonjour or according to manual, http://ipaddr.local:8080/stanza. And both are not working. The server locked up my computer, and I am forced to kill it. Besides, when I browse the server using my iphone to get the book, it always shows none.

I also don't want to edit any info on my books, I only need to convert to ePub. Sadly, the only one I've found that can read .lit and convert to epub correctly is only calibre. I don't want cataloguing, I have my way to organize them, and I don't want anything to mess with it. I only need the converter so I can read them on epub. But Calibre converter is also buggy. I couldn't batch convert everything at once. It always shows some error every 4-5 files on batch converts, or some taking too long i.e 1 hour or so, and I am on i7. 1 hour only to convert 1 book on i7 is definitely not normal, so I need to convert one by one manually.

Saving to another place would make it duplicate, and I want to avoid that.

Last edited by prd0; 05-25-2009 at 03:10 PM.
prd0 is offline   Reply With Quote