View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
My ideal ebook store is one that lets me buy the books I want in a format that works on my device for a reasonable price.

DRM is an issue, but less important than price and availability. DRM can be dealt with, but you can neither authorize a device or strip the DRM from a book that's not available. Price is the same kind of issue: raise it enough and the book becomes effectively unavailable.

Right now the closest to ideal is Baen or Fictionwise as both offer (at least with some titles in the latter case) the ability to buy a book without tying it to one format or device. Baen is limited by the number of publishers they offer, and Fictionwise because the DRM best-sellers they offer are not available in a format my preferred device supports. (I could buy ereader books but then it's either strip them or read on the PDA rather than the Reader).

Good sort and search is important: especially the ability to sort by several criteria at once.

A good UI would be nice: I haven't seen any that really stand out in a positive way - but I find BoB's to be particularly bad. I like the store, but the UI is a pain.

I like a Wishlist, it saves on my memory. Bulk download is great too - especially when you have several hundred books in your library. I don't mind limits on bulk downloads (Fictionwise's limit of 100 isn't too bad) but for Thor's sake make it easy to select which hundred. Fictionwise makes that very hard because you have individually select both book and format for bulk downloads, which almost defeats the point.

Hope this helps.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote