dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Hi Sirbruce;

I will try to answer your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You said it was low due to indexing. Perhaps it was still indexing. Or perhaps you left the wireless on. Both will use the battery while the Kindle is sleeping.
Possibly it was indexing..but the last book was pulled down earlier in the day.. would it take 5-6 hours to index a couple of books? In any event, the K2 was plugged into the AC for it to charge. I went back.... 36 hours later?? and saw the charging light was OFF. Wireless was not on and when I looked at the screen, I saw the Critical Battery warning.

Quote:
This isn't very clear to me. Can you turn off your computer, leave the hub turned on, plug the K2 into the hub, and tell us exactly what happens? Then compare with what happens when the computer is on?
The hub retains power and the K2 charges normally.. in that the amber light was glowing. But I was sufficiently spooked about the CRITICAL BATTERY message that I dumped the USB charging in favor of AC charging. I will reconfirm that USB charging IS active when the computer is OFF, but I don't think that is the issue. I could forsee where it could be, but in my case, with independent power going to the USB hub, and with other peripherals plugged into the hub, each getting power with the computer off, I don't see this as an issue in this case.

Quote:
You need to pull the books back down from Amazon if they send you a new unit.
thx!

Quote:
Why do you think this is not the case? The light changes to green to tell you it's full, but that doesn't mean it's overcharging. It has a power management chip to prevent such things. I think leaving it plugged in will allow it to recharge as needed, though.
Well, I have seen other systems that, when fully charged, turn completely off. So when I saw the K2 had no charging light, I thought the same might be true for this unit. But apparently, it was just not receiving power for whatever reason.

Now I am interested in leaving the K2 plugged in for a prolonged period of time - couple of days - and see if the green light continues to glow or if the power input completely terminates. Then the question will be is this by accident or design? Based on what has been stated here in this forum, I would expect the green light to stay on anytime it had access to external power.

So, the unit is not receiving power, I can explain that by any number of circumstances...not good explanations, but I can come up with some. But the continued depletion of power -- THAT mystifies me. Unless something was forcing a complete re-indexing of everything on the K2? But with... around 40 books on the K2, it is not heavily burdened. It currently displays 1467 MB free. And having been in sleep mode for the past three days, it now shows.... 90-95% power remaining? So there is _some_ power draw in sleep mode. Wonder if there is power draw in OFF mode?

DonW
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote