View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Pocket Pro Bookmarks for PDF and EPUB

Greetings,

The journey (of discovering the many wonders of the EZReader Pocket Pro) continues.

There appear be two "classes" or "types" of bookmarks on the Pocket Pro. The first type is the one described in the User Manual, and applies to TXT, DJVU, CHM, HTML, FB2, PDB, LIT, and DOC file types. The second type applies to PDF and EPUB files.

While both types of bookmarks may be assigned with a quick press of the "6" on the desired page, as described in the FAQ, and both types may be accessed by the bookmark list that comes up with a sustained press of the "6," their similarities end there.

With TXT, DJVU, CHM, HTML, FB2, PDB, LIT, and DOC you can place a maximum of 5 bookmarks. These can be added and removed by pressing the number key corresponding to the bookmark when on the bookmarked page. In all cases, except for FB2 files, 1-5 bookmark icons will appear in the status line of any eBooks among the file types listed. They can also be seen in FB2 files by pressing the OK/Menu key. So removing a bookmark is easy. If I want to remove Bookmark #1, just press "1" - if you're already on the screen to which it was assigned (as opposed to logical "page" as determined by the document format), the bookmark will be removed. Otherwise, you will be taken to the location of the bookmark, and a second press of the number will remove it.

However, bookmarks for PDF and EPUB behave very differently. They can only be set by pressing the "6" button, and continue to be added, in sequence with each successive press. I'm sure there is some upward limit to how many bookmarks can be set this way; I set over 80 in both file types, with no indication that I couldn't set more if I wanted to. The only way to access a bookmark in this class is to go to the bookmark list using the sustained press on the "6".

Now--here's my question: Is there a way to delete bookmarks from PDF and EPUB files?

I know that moving such a book to a different folder will make all the bookmarks, font, and orientation settings disappear. But curiously, deleting such a book, shutting down and restarting the reader, and then putting the same book back in its previous location will not clear the bookmarks.

I await your insightful comments.

Cheers!

Last edited by Xochipilli2012; 03-08-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Ego and Clarity
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote