View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burliburd View Post
Thanks for the feedback LDBoblo. I haven't realised I was using artificials. I forgot to copy all the font files into the Windows Fonts folder. I get back to work for version 2.
No problem. I went and tried to set up a few books in Caecilia, and the trick to getting it working alright is to give it some wide leading (line spacing). For me, Caecilia Roman is a very big, rather dark, dense typeface that suffers at big sizes if it's not given some room. If you're going to run it at a (relatively) large size like 10pt, you will probably want to give it something around 15pt leading. I gave it a shot at 8pt with 12.5-13pt leading and it is highly readable (and to my liking since I don't like particularly big text). For any size, white space is as important as the black space.

Further, since it's such a broad face on such a narrow page, I found that giving it just a bit of a squeeze, condensing it down to perhaps to 98% or 96% improves paragraph readability a good bit. Also, with the slightly narrower face, you can make the leading ever so slightly less and fit more on the page. Double benefit.

For me, the magic setting was 8pt text, 12pt leading, condensed 96% That may be a bit small if you like reading bigger text. Size can be adjusted to taste. At 9pt, I liked 13.5pt leading, and with 10pt, I liked 14.5 and 15pt leading.

Hope that helps
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote