View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
Saltynick, that makes two of us. Now I'm wondering if requesting this for Christmas was an expensive mistake. It has been a nightmare to 'set up', even with a very clever computer programmer on hand to assist. Now I am struggling to find books I want to read. I fondly imagined it would be a simple matter of plug & play, ha ha ...
The problem is not the Sony Reader - ti's the rubbish Library software.

- Use Calibre instead
- Don't waste time attempting to buy books via the Sony software - just do what HarryT suggested, and go to one of the many websites that offer ePub format books - WHSmith and Waterstones, to be sure, but there are plenty of others too.
- Read this - Harry's response to someone else who was struggling to get the setup working

Sorry, folks, the process works differently outside the US - you're just confusing the poor woman .

What you have to do is:

1. Download and install the Sony eBook Library software.

2. Download and install the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software.

3. Run ADE. It will ask you if you want to create an account and authorise your PC. Say "yes" and go through the procedure it guides you through.

4. Plug in your Sony Reader, then re-run ADE. It will say something like "a mobile device has been detected - do you want to authorise it?". Say "Yes".

Now, you can go to any eBook store that sells ePub books - eg Waterstones, for example, You don't need to use the Sony eBook library software for this - just use your web browser. When you buy a book, the eBook store will e-mail you a download link. This link will make ADE download the book. Once ADE has downloaded it, you can copy it to your Reader from within ADE. No need to use the Sony software at all in any of this

Last edited by nick101; 12-26-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Finger trouble
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote