View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Hi, all. I'm wondering if there's a (legal) way of buying ebooks normally unavailable outside certain areas (i.e. the USA).

In particular, I'm trying to find an ebook copy of Larry's Party by Carol Shields available in Canada. What makes this example really burn me is that it's a Canadian novel, with Canadian characters, by a Canadian authour. But it's (presumably) an American publisher, so I can't get the freaking book!

Any way to get around this? I'd love to get a copy of this book for my ebook collection, and I don't have the resources to move to the States to get it.
It's all about the copyright and how restrictive these agreements are in today's digital age. Some of the issue lay with the rights holders not negotiating with other regions. The rest lay with the countries in question and how they handle printed media. After reading here I have been shocked to read the protectionist laws on the books of some countries about books. Still I don't fault those countries since bookshops employ people and add to the coffers needed to run a country. Still some countries have such restrictive anti-competitive laws it's scary for the people of those countries who just want to read.

The world is just a complicated place that has yet to grow with the explosion of the new digital age.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote