View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I want to create some dual-language ebooks, and am trying to come up with the 'best' approach. I can think of several:
  1. Interlinear. A paragraph of language A, followed by the translation in language B
  2. Two columns (probably implemented as a table). Left column in language A, right column in language B (on a small screen, this might favor landscape display and preclude use of larger text sizes)
  3. Two parts. First part contains the entire text in language A, second part in Language B. Links with each paragraph to take you to the corresponding translation (or back).

I'm inclined to go with (3.) since it would be more immersive, possibly easier to format with a script, and more portable to different devices/screen sizes than (2.). Especially if I discover how to remove decorations from hyperlinks - the whole paragraph (or perhaps the first word in each) could be hyperlinked to its translation without any visual disturbance.

But thought I'd check to see if anyone else has been down this road...
Oops, I missed that part, so you are already planning to link the two versions together, good.

I don't think removing the "decoration" is a good idea. The reader needs to know what is linked and what is not. The first word in a paragraph could be an idea, yes, but I think a dedicated link with the language name or abbreviation would be clearer. And I still think links at the beginning AND end of a chapter might be a good idea.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote