View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #105
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but it isn't . All lithium batteries degrade with time, regardless of how often or not you charge them. This ageing effect is completely independent of the separate degradation due to the number of charge cycles.
If that degradation actually occurs to any great degree. A friend of mine with some experience in battery chemistry said that it's relatively insignificant compared to the internal resistance rise effect you mention below.

Quote:
You may not have noticed the reduction in capacity yet, but believe me, it is occurring. By the time the battery is 3 years old, it will have lost somewhere between about a third and a half of its original capacity, and there isn't a thing you can do to prevent that.
Technically this isn't a loss of capacity: its capacity is as great as it ever was. It's just a rise of internal resistance, so the battery becomes unwilling to give you back ever more of the charge it's storing.

There is also something you can do to prevent it, in theory: keep the Kindle in a non-oxygenated atmosphere. Pure nitrogen will do (vacuum seems likely to damage the thing in other ways). A little impractical, though.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote