View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Exclamation Kindle 1.2 update makes boat anchor

I'm home recovering from having steent number 6 installed this past weekend (what a birthday present that was) and was finally feeling good enough today to fiddle with the Kindle again. (rather than just sleep all day long).

Imagine my surprise to discover software 1.2 was attempting to sneak it's way into my Kindle along with my stack of new ebook purchases.

Imagine my surprise when the update reported an error F000 and instructed me to call customer service.

Imagine my horror when customer service informed me the unit had to come back to them to be fixed e.g. there is no emergency re-flash capability!

Yikes!

Then imagine my attempt to follow my cardiologist's directions (heart rate to be kept between 60 and 100 at all times) when they told me my launch day unit was now out-of-warranty and they'd have to charge me for a replacement unit.

Fortunately it was Amazon and when they looked up my account and saw a 2.0 on pre-order, a couple hundred purchased Kindle books and Amazon Prime on my account they decided to over night me a new unit.

Cardiac crisis averted.

Anyway, I didn't see anyone else posted anything about software 1.2 for the Kindle? So I'm guessing this came out since Monday?

Deets here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200226050

Promised features if my unit hadn't committed suicide:

Image zoom: Zoom in on any image in Kindle books or periodicals using the scroll wheel.

Enhanced content management: Delete items directly from the Home screen with a new short-cut key--scroll to the item and push the "backspace" key.

Improved character and font support: New support includes Greek characters and monospace fonts.

Looks like a nice set of updates, assuming you can get your unit to survive the update process.

I must say I am a bit astonished that Amazon doesn't have an emergency re-flash ability in the Kindle. You'd think they had iRex cobble together the software or something.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote