View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I'm a veteran owner and ebook reader, and I purchased one of the special offers Kindles. The presence of the ads simply doesn't affect reading a book at all, and some of the offers in fact have saved me a few bucks.

I very much dislike obtrusive advertising. Ads within an ebook itself would be a major no-no. I believe Amazon understands this. If I'm wrong, and this turns out to be the camel's nose under the tent for such, then my opinion will change. I also wouldn't like seeing the ad/offer-free models disappear. But at this point, the device doesn't make me feel any sort of compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Interesting. My guess is first-time ereader buyers don't feel the same sense of compromise that veteran owners (some) would. First time buyers haven't developed an attachment to the format; there's no established experience for the ads to affect. For them, $25 less is $25 less, especially when many of them are unsure if they will even like using an ereader.

For those opposed to the idea, it could be of concern. New waves of consumers will just accept the feature, never having used it without, and those who prefer ad-free could become a minority. I doubt it, though.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote