View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I think that all the predictions of the "death of PDAs" are completely overblown. These devices are much to useful to disappear, even with the threats from media players and smartphones.
I agree with Ignatz. In fact, I believe PDAs are the basic devices from which mobile media players and smartphones develop today.

Instead of talking about "death", it is much better to talk about "transition". If you look at the Archos media player, for instance, how can you tell the difference from a "regular" PDA? It offers all the features a PDA offers (PIM functionality), with a strong focus on multi media. Smartphones, on the other, also offer PIM functionality, but with a focus on mobile connectivity. So, what is a PDA? What is a smartphone, or a mobile media player? Aren't they all arising from the same ideas, technology and mobility - only with a different focus?