View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I just tested the manual upgrade to 2.1.4 on my Kobo Touch to trial the new Calibre ability to create/manage shelves, and I was quite impressed by it. I'm not sure of the extent of Calibre/Sony integration, but there's definitely a lot of Calibre progress for the KT. (It made me go make a little donation!)
That's very good to hear - thank you for putting the good word in for Kobo's updated firmware and calibre's updated Kobo-compatibility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Any reader that indexes the metadata of books to group them into collections, shelves or whatever, will slow down considerably when you load 1000s of books on them. That applies to Kobo, Sony and Kindle. That is simply because indexing takes time.
Oh, darn! I haven't yet noticed any distinct slow-down on my Kindle, but I am ensuring that I leave a fair amount of empty space on it so that I don't crash it. I understand that PRS+ enables the Sony to index books using a different method, which prevents the Sony devices from slowing down considerably?

Quote:
If you also want good performance you might want to consider one of the brands that use a simple folder structure, e.g. PocketBook or Onyx. A bit more difficult to buy where you live, but not impossible. Integration with Calibre is very good in those situations; you can let Calibre build the folder structure for you.
I feel more comfortable staying with tried, tested and trusted brands, especially due to the high prices of more unknown brands - Sony's apparently excellent Calibre integration and the ability to use PRS+ (as well as being able to buy the Kobo and the Sony in a brick-and-mortar store and get a retailer warranty) makes me more comfortable with a 'big spend'.

Quote:
As to the pros and cons of tags vs. folders, we've discussed those elsewhere in these forums. A little searching might help you. In the end, it's a matter of personal preference, but I thought I should at least mention this performance issue to you.
I'm not sure of the difference between the two, as I've never heard it being brought up before - but if it creates performance issues, I'll definitely go and have a look now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote