View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Use of   for spacing

In a current book I've scanned to create an epub, I've been using  . . . in place of an ellipse. It's a book from the 40s and I wanted to keep the more stretched-out appearance of the ellipse as it was in the book rather than the ... if using the ellipse special character. It also seemed to keep a uniform space between the periods, never stretching that space wider for justified margins, which was what I wanted.

I decided to use the   between quotation marks and single quote marks rather than have them together with no space, " ' for instance, but the uniform space doesn't seem to hold here. I'm still tempted to avoid the space between even though I've read it's better to include it because justified margins always widened that space too much, and I thought the use of   would avoid that.

Is this the best way to do it or is there some other way to force a uniform width for the spaces? On my reader (Sony 350) all ellipses and spaces between the quote marks are a uniform width throughout the book. But I noticed when I open the epub in Calibre's viewer that the spacing between the quote marks often is wider (but ellipses seemed to stay uniform). And once converted to mobi the same situation happens, wider spaces for justifying the margins for both quotes and ellipses.

Or is it just not possible to specify a uniform width that all readers will handle?
Ripplinger is online now   Reply With Quote