View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld View Post
I hear the kindle also has good quality dictionaries. However, with them you can't choose the dictionary by preference, you are stuck with the manuafacturer's choice.
Kindle sells a zillion dictionaries and you get choose freely.

As to the legality of the other dicts floating around, most seem to be PD. Others seem to be screenscraped from commercial products and their legality will vary by country. Dictionaries are essentially databases of facts and in many countries you can't copyright facts. In others you can only copyright the arrangement/organization of data.
Pretty much a gray area.

Most of the ones I'm using come from the open source repositories and they get the job done for me.
Given that some of the stuff I read is PC classics the 1913 Webstters is useful because it contains a lot of the older usages.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-18-2010 at 02:17 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote