View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Seneca
Enthusiast
Seneca began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus-5500G, PB-903, PB-603, Tolino Vision 2
Hi trashHeap,

unfortunately PocketBook does not have an open firmware. All you get is a very poorly maintained SDK (so you can write Apps for the device), but absolutely no access to internals. Note also that -- as far as I know -- programs written by third party members like you or I are second class citizens on the PB. for example no access to the GSM module, no access to tty emulation, only limited network access.

You can get sources to part of the firmware, but only for cash and only to those few parts that are backed (and defended ...) by open source projects, i.e. the kernel (excluding PB specific modules) and some libraries. To my limited knowledge, you do not get enough sources, scripts etc. to actually build a firmware image. The firmware updater/loaded is to my knowledge proprietary and not available.

Having said that, the PB is a cool device, with great hardware and a decent firmware. And after some long delays from last fall until this summer, we now see again regular updates and/or public betas.

Hope this helps.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote