View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #441
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Alot of books these days are self published and the poor authors have no clue really on any of the technical dos and don'ts when making a ebook. Now we have a new format they have to learn all over again.

It's not hacking to remove a font. It more like editing. It's real easy to do in Calibre. I have it set to remove all user fonts, margins and colors. I still use the old mobi format. KF8 doesn't work with the Personal Documents Cloud yet.
Actually, it's not KF8 being a new format that's the problem. Most KF8 started life as an ePub. Very few KF8 actually started life as KF8 code.

That being said, even if KF8 was not originally ePub, the same font mistakes would be made. I've taken embedded fonts that did not look good enough on eInk and found a medium or semibold version to use in place. Or I've fattened it up myself. Some have too much line space so I've had to adjust the line-height. Cannot do that with KF8. But you can adjust the font's line space and then keep that modified font in case any other eBooks use it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote