View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
FSD08
FSD08 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Kindle
Ermine stuck at home screen Dingo reinstall cannot scan for networks

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
From the looks of things it appears that the Entourage website is history. Which means the links to the Ermine updates from Entourage are history as well. For all new owners, here are some instructions on how to update your device.

Be aware that Entourage released the 2.2 update as a Beta only. The Beta is fairly polished for the Pocket Edge and has minor issues on some full size Edges. Most Edge owners, including myself, will tell you it is worth doing. I own three Edges, 2 PEs and and an EE and all three have the Ermine update. On the PE the update is practically flawless. On some EEs (not all) the update can cause hibernation, camera, and browser issues.

After you install the update check out the Resources for New Edge and Pocket Edge Owners Sticky to quickly get the most out of your device. Have fun.

To install the update:

1. Download the Ermine Update file for Edge or Pocket Edge. I strongly recommend you download the update via a PC. The update is 144 MB and will take a little time to download.

Pocket Edge: http://www.4shared.com/file/svMkSPUp...ineupdate.html

Edge: http://www.4shared.com/file/mtwbUuma...ineupdate.html

2. Rename the file: update.zip
3. Place this file in the root (not a subdirectory) of a USB stick OR an SD card formatted FAT32.
4. Verify your Edge/Pocket Edge is OFF.
5. Insert the USB stick into a USB port on the device OR insert the SD card into the SD slot.
6. While holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, slide or press the POWER switch. Do NOT release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
7. CONTINUE to hold the MENU and ROTATE buttons down.
8. After about 1 minute or less you should see an "Updating software" splash screen at which point you can release the MENU and ROTATE buttons.
9. After about 5 minutes or less the device will reboot and will be running the Ermine BETA build.

If you do not like Ermine you can downgrade back to Dingo 1.6. The procedure is exactly the same as above.

Pocket Edge Dingo 1.6: http://www.4shared.com/file/fCBygbcg...16_update.html

Edge Dingo 1.6: http://www.edge.ympsa.com/restorefac...fullsizeEE.zip
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must compliment you on the effort you have put forth in support of the Pocket Edge. I updated to Ermine as directed without a problem, - I had arrived at the home screen without a problem, except there were no applications. I pressed the home button, then menu button - nothing happened, I then tried to rotate the display and nothing happened (the USB drive was still inserted at this time). I removed the USB drive and tried the buttons again and, again, nothing happened. I looked at the content of the USB drive and the "Update.zip" file had been replaced with a directory labeled "Lost.Dir". I reformatted the drive, wrote the update zip file to it and I re-updated with Ermine with the same results.

I finally downgraded back to Dingo 1.6 which went well, until I dismissed the registration screen and touched the 4 corners - left top below banner, bottom left corner, bottom right corner and right top below the banner to bypass the perpetual registration Code 80 loop. and was presented with the home screen and a "The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly, please try again with an option to "Force Close" , which I executed and was returned to the home screen. All buttons worked, but when I attempted to connect to my wi-fi, I received an error message, "unable to scan for networks". I manually configured the network, but was again met with the same error message.I reinstalled Ermine with the same results as before and once again, return to Dingo 1.6 with the same results.
I have six questions,

1:was I correct in removing the USB drive after the home screen appeared and settled in after about 5 minutes?
2. When should the USB drive be removed?
3. Is there a button combination to break through the Ermine home screen?. 4. Is there a work around to eliminate the "Force Close" message in Dingo?
5. Is there a work around to allow scanning for wireless networks in Dingo?
6. Is there a repair patch to install that will allow android.process.media to complete its run.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated. As of now, I think I might have a brick.

Thanks in advance
FSD08 is offline   Reply With Quote