View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #313
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've been testing some more fonts, such as the old standby's Garamond, Caslon, Minion Pro, Latin Modern (LaTeX default font) and Georgia. (I've got the first three because I own Photoshop CS5.1 it seems, as they are on my desktop, where CS5.1 is installed, and they're not on my notebook, where CS5.1 is not installed. Otherwise, the same programs are installed.)

To be honest, I find these fonts to be dreadful on the Kindle Paperwhite. I like all of them on paper, especially Latin Modern. I love that font for papers and reports, and one of the reasons is that it supports ligatures such as "ff", "ft", and "strange" letters, such as "ae". It has beautiful italics, IMHO. I own some books (one version of The Lord of the Rings, in particular) that uses this font and I just love it. On the Kindle Paperwhite, it *** *** ***. (Insert rant to your liking there.) It's practically unreadable.

The two fonts that did surprise me are Trebuchet MS and DejaVu Serif: they look quite nice, but they lack weight compared to Caecilia. They are too thin for my liking. This is a complaint I also often had (have) with hardbacks: many of the ones I own have thin fonts, which is not good for people with bad eyesight.

As I don't have any options to easily add some weight / thickness to fonts (and don't have any knowledge of font creation whatsoever), I'm back to Caecilia 4 again. For reading long texts, I don't really like non-serif fonts such as Futura, Helvetica or Verdana.

I'd like to find a nice flowing font some day, that looks really oldstyle; slanted a bit, but not so much that it is Italic, with thin and thick strokes in it's letters. I did find two that I liked, but they only had a "Regular" version, and they were too thin to use on the Kindle.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote