View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
readingaloud
Enthusiast
readingaloud is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad; Sony Reader; Amazon Kindle
Why PRC only?

Why is it that you specify that only PRC-format books can be shared here?

For reasons I've stated elsewhere, I think iLiad books in the Mobipocket format are exceptionally ugly, and I avoid them. Now, I don't want to dispute matters of taste, but I don't see why those of us who occasionally spend time producing a good-looking text is some other format shouldn't also share with other iLiad owners.

I format my public domain books in InDesign, and output them as PDFs. I don't know how one produces PRCs (or whether it's even possible on a Mac), but from what I've seen there's relatively little control over the design of the page. I know that PRCs can reflow with different text sizes, but that's a feature I'm willing to do without if it means that I can't make the text look good at any size.

Here's the first chapter of Arnold Bennett's "The Grand Babylon Hotel" as an example. It might not be to all tastes, but I don't see what it would hurt if I posted books in this format, which presumably all iLiad owners can read, and some will prefer.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GrandBabylonCh1.pdf (89.5 KB, 2908 views)
readingaloud is offline   Reply With Quote