Thread: PRS-300 Recharging Issue
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yes, in sleep mode most computers shut down most power use, including power to their USB ports, in order to shut down USB-powered external devices. That's the whole point, after all: saving as much power as possible. And when a Sony Reader is plugged into an unpowered hub, or a sleeping computer, it will drain its battery flat trying valiantly to power the whole computer.

Also, a lot of times, if the battery is too low, you won't be able to charge it off of USB at all. Most of us long-time Sony users have wall chargers, for that and other reasons (for one, because you can read while charging with them). I happen to have a real Sony charger, thanks to a holiday gift card, but people here have said that the Sony PSP portable game console chargers work quite nicely. The Sony charger I have is rated for 2 amps of current. That seems like a lot for the lil' Reader to pull, but they didn't build it that big just on a whim, so were I looking for a third-party charger, I'd make sure it had a similar rating. Oh, and external USB chargers don't work; if you plug into the USB port, the Reader starts looking for data instead of charging. It needs either a computer on the USB port or an external charger on the barrel-connector socket.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote