View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I'm looking for a recommendation. HarryT's enthusiasm for Dickens has convinced me that I may have misjudged the man back in high school. Unfortunately, I still don't feel brave enough to venture straight back into his books.

Happily for me, though, I generally enjoy the books of Dan Simmons. Can anybody tell me if Drood is (1) entertaining in its own right, and (2) a good re-introduction for an old Dickens-hater?

Many thanks for any advice.

I never got the impression you're asking someone to tell you to read a book. Your questions 1 and 2 are very clear: Is the book under question entertaining and is a it a good (re)introduction to Dickens.

I can only tell you my opinions, since you're asking for people's opinions. I haven't read the book in question, so I have no opinion. However, I love Dickens, but hated him in High School. I'm older now and wiser, but hi ho!, I also enjoy postmodern literature and Proust so go figure.

Read and explore and listen to other people's opinions. Then, everyone else's opinions can be damned - even mine - and you can make up your own mind!

Hi ho! It's off to ebook reading we go.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote