View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I'm almost entirely paper-free at this point in my personal media consumption.

I work for a paper that still goes to print, and I still get the occasional handout in classes (though I encourage my professors to send me the files instead and many of them do, and I'm very involved in stepping up our web integration on the paper).

News? Online/RSS/recipes. Blogs? Same. Magazines? Rare for me, but online when I read them. Books? Digital. And I do find I read a lot more now than I did at any point in the past since I was in primary school.

I think the most surprising thing is actually books. As I got older and busier, I read fewer books and more news and short stories. Partly due to space, partly due to eyestrain, and partly due to having a back that doesn't like extra weight.

There's a lot of issues to solve, in terms of making books viable in the digital world. Shorter works are easier - you can ignore the eyestrain issue, and you can also lay them out on a typical website or mobile site. But books? That really did require a whole new formatting and screen approach.

I think ebooks will be as significant as the printing press. It's no surprise novel-reading rates were declining in an increasingly digital world where heavy bricks of paper really just don't fit into the lifestyles of a lot of people anymore. I know that was the primary reason for my reading decline.

And I think we're going to see a resurgence of the novel now that e-ink and ebook formats are available. It will be interesting to compare the numbers of people who report reading novels regularly in, say, 2015, versus 2005.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote