View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I just started Anna Karenina Friday so really have nothing to add...maybe later. But your comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkietech View Post
I might even get brave and take on "War and Peace" but not any time soon.
...triggered the memory of a, well, two lengthy book reviews I copied and put in the Calibre metadata of my copy of War and Peace. Both (Michael Dirda of the Washington Post and the other from the New York Review of Books whose author I failed to note) were lauding the then (2007) new translation by "the widely acclaimed team of Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky " (Dirda). The NYRB review had nothing good to say about the standard Costance Garnett translation, quoting Joseph Brodsky that the "reason English-speaking readers can barely tell the difference between Tolstoy and Dostoevsky is that they aren't reading the prose of either one. They're reading Constance Garnett."

I did buy the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation based on the reviews, started it and was actually enjoying it but got interrupted and never went back to it. Think I will start it again this Fall.

Give a holler and I'll post or PM you a copy of the reviews.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote