View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
Just to be sure I understand: so there are some mobi/prc files that don't permit changing metadata, even though they have the .mobi or .prc extension?
Yes and no. Mobi files (like eReader files) can have the metadata set a number of different ways (3 actually). Calibre supports reading all 3 for mobi but only supports setting one. If that section is not already present in the file it will not change the metadata because changing it would require rebuilding the entire file. It would basically have to run mobi2mobi (or in the case of 0.6.x, ebook-convert in.mobi .mobi)

Quote:
If I were to do a Save to Disk with Calibre, would that have the same effect as using mobi2mobi - taking the content and putting it into a new container that supports changing metadata?
No. you will have to run ebook-convert in.mobi .mobi yourself.

Quote:
Is there any easy way to tell from within Calibre which files will permit metadata changes and which ones I have to do further manipulation on before sending to the Kindle (which is my device)?
Not that I'm a where of. I don't do much with mobi though so maybe.

Quote:
I think Calibre is absolutely fantastic - only wish the documentation were more thorough. That's not a criticism - I totally get that the developer is busy with other very important things, and I'd even offer to help with documentation myself; I just don't think I have a thorough enough understanding to be the one to do it. But I feel like there are lots of features or aspects of the program that the developer has put time and effort into but that I either don't fully understand or don't even know about, and wish I did so I could take advantage of them...
It's a valid criticism. I'm very guilty of not documenting anything I've worked on (the / path tag and field:false in the search are two major things that people don't know exist but keep asking for). The only part that gets documented even close to what it should is the command line interface.

Quote:
(another is the "Series" feature of the Calibre metadata - I read something recently that suggested something happens if you transfer all items in a series to the device at the same time? Maybe I should open a new thread to ask about this...)
If you transfer all items in a series to a PRS-505 or 700 it should create a collection with the books in the series order. If you do them individually it may or may not. Or is it when you transfer all of them it transfers in the order you select the books... I can't remember, it's been a bit since I touched the the 505 and 700 drivers and that was mainly just moving them to use the USBMS driver framework.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote