View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
So does this mean that if I import a file into my Calibre library, then use Calibre to change the metadata for that book, the metadata stored in the ebook file itself remains what it was when it was imported - the changes are stored only in the metadata.db file but the book file itself isn't updated? Is there a reason for this - a reason that the file metadata isn't updated when I change it in Calibre?
It's not updated for two major reasons. Each book can have multiple formats, say you edit 1000 books using the bulk metadata dialog which have 5 books each. That's 5000 files that need to be updated. Some ebook types require the entire book to be decompiled and re-compiled to change something as simple as the author. Over 5000 files this would be an intensive operation. Also, not all formats support changing the metadata. So it's only updated as needed, E.g. with 'Save to disk' and 'Send to device".

Quote:
And could this explain why sometimes when I send an ebook to my Kindle, some of the metadata changes I've made in Calibre aren't reflected when the ebook gets to my Kindle? (Sometimes I've had to make changes to the metadata of the Calibre library file using something like mobi2mobi in order to make the metadata correct on the Kindle.)
The mobi file you've imported doesn't support changing the metadata. When you convert it you're taking the content and putting it into a mobi container that supports changing the metadata.

Quote:
It sounds like in order to make the changes to the file metadata, I'd have to do a "save to disk" and then re-import the ebook, which seems strange to me.
Basically but you shouldn't need to have the metadata changed on every file. Just when you need that file outside of calibre. The metadata is also changed when using 'Send to device'.

Quote:
As for the Calibre library...I understand what it is now. Is there a way to move my entire library? What if I no longer want it in "My Documents/Calibre ebooks" but instead want it somewhere else - can I do that easily? (And I still don't understand about the time for loading a library into a new version of Calibre - although maybe it has to do with this, with moving the library location?)
It sounds like you are still using 0.5.x. It's been awhile since I've done anything that version. 0.6 was just released and it makes moving the library very easy (it might be the same in 0.5.x). Simply move your library, open calibre, click preferences, the first item in the dialog is Location of ebooks, point it to the location of your library.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote