View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Yes, they often do! It can be a battle to tell an author who has just spent months agonising over every detail of layout in a printed copy that for the eBook you're basically just going to pour the text into a bucket - and it's going to display differently on different devices.
MWAHAHAHAHA.

Here's my favorite email of the week, thus far (and, woot! It's only Tuesday; this augurs well for a wild time at my place this week):

Quote:
Pls estimate the total cost for converting this X page textbook to be usable with amazon and other web eBooks, and if it can be exactly the same PDF file after converting w/o misformating [sic] of tables as with amazon Kindle version.
...to which I replied with my usual, well, it's not going to be "exactly" the same PDF file, yadda-yadda, to which I then received this:

Quote:
I think the format to be close to PDF and better than amazon Kindle is the most important competition factor for your Co and others to attract e-pblishers from amazonKindle. Otherwise it's not worth it to spend extra money for the defective amazon Kindle effect....
Pls let me know only when you can guaranty to keep the PDF format....
I mean, as far as I know, companies like mine do a pretty decent job of retaining the essential formatting. Heaven knows, I've seen a lot worse than our efforts. But this book had serious issues, unrelated to the "defective" (mwahahahahaha) Kindle formatting; the issue was the 20lb. issue. Trying to put 20lbs of content into a 5lb. sack. I've never found a really great way of conveying the size issue to people--they simply can't 'see' it. If someone creates a graphic for "typing" paper (8½"x11"), and doesn't understand that it will be unreadable on a 3½" wide device, man, you are just barking at the moon.

Sometimes, you have to save clients from themselves.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote