View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #72
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think the key point on much of this discussion is that Sony appears to be pulling out of the USA market, or at least cutting way back. Sony might continue with the 350 (though I doubt it) and kill the 650 and 950 here in the USA. The 650 has always been difficult to find in stock and the 950 is obviously becoming very difficult to buy. Just because an online store lists them as being in stock doesn't mean they are. Best Buy often lists items you cannot consistently find in their local stores. Regardless, Sony is NOT going to have terrific sales figures without their readers being sold through local retail stores. If a consumer goes into a local retail store like Best Buy or Target or whatever and sees Kindles, Kobos, Nooks, iPads, a gillion cheap Android tablets listed as ereaders, etc., but no Sony, then the consumer is not likely to buy a Sony. How could they? Sony rarely advertises their readers, so how will the typical consumer even discover that Sony readers are an option in the USA market. To think that the typical American consumer is represented by this forum is pure fantasy. We here know about Sony readers, but the typical American consumer does not.

I do think Sony might concentrate now on other markets around the world where they do have a huge share of the market, but it looks as though Sony is pulling out of the USA market.