View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
[…] but I'm not really up-to-date on the best mystery stuff out there
Neither am I, so I'm going by other people's recommends as well. I'll be trying that Gulik Judge Dee book if the sample reads well.

Another good Gerrold deal (not part of the sale), is his short story collection Alternate Gerrolds: An Assortment of Fictitious Lives, which is only 99 cents at the moment.

It's got a 1-star review by some idiot who was mad that Gerrold released this instead of finishing some other book he wanted, but don't let that put you off. It's full of classic sf stories by one of the top writers in the field.

As for the sale itself, I'm also planning on sampling and maybe-getting Canadian writer Michelle Sagara West's fantasy Into the Dark Lands, which is 99 cents while her other titles from the same publisher are $9.99.

If people like Arthurian fantasy with a mildly Christian tone (but not actual Christian fiction), there's some Stephen R. Lawhead going cheap.

And for people who love British food writing, there's a Jane Grigson cookbook, Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery for $2.99. She's one of those classic cookery writers that a lot of other British food writers reference (like Elizabeth David), when they write their own books about being British and cooking/eating food.

Plus it looks like there's a bunch of various University Press non-fiction in the history and science categories, which I'll be sampling. Although the library will generally have most of them, and academic books tend not to translate very well to Kindle format, given Mobi's display limitations.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote