View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #22630
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
A very naïve question now - does Christmas have any impact on Japan. I assume there are quite a large number of Christians there, so does it get reflected in the shops etc., and celebrated at home with a tree and decorations? I could look it up, of course, but then you would never know the depth of my ignorance, and I know your answer will be way more edifying .
Actually, I've been asked that question by many people over the years. Let me answer it from two fronts;
Yes, Christmas decorations all over, lights strung up in front of houses, department store staff wearing Santa hats, and mall music is Christmas carols. Even young people switching their wool winter hats for Santa hats for a week or two for everyday wear. Shopping centers are jammed with people looking for gifts, Christmas cakes and candies every where you look. Candy canes, elves and reindeer, the whole nine yards.
But...
I've never seen a Nativity Display. In 25 years I've never seen one depiction of the Three Wise Guys standing around the manger. I've never seen nor heard any religious connotations. There are plenty of Christian churches everywhere here. They just built a brand new Jehovah's Witness Center a couple of blocks away. (I'm not sure if they celebrate Christmas... or if that's the 7th Day Adventist people I'm thinking of?)

The other day when I taught my Senior Citizen English class some Christmas music... in English... everyone knew the tunes, just not the English words. One of the women was Christian and she had to explain to the others the meaning/reason for the words to The Little Drummer Boy.

Even in remote parts of northern Thailand, up along the Burmese border where most of the folks live in bamboo villages with dirt streets, and normal dress is still the traditional costumes for the women, (even if Mickey Mouse T-shirts are worn underneath,) Santa still comes to town and the Christmas lights are strung up everywhere. Here's an old photo a shot in a street market near the border some years ago... Mother and daughter are of the Paduang tribe, live in bamboo huts with no indoor plumbing, but daughter has the Spirit!

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChgDao5.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	98074  
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote