Thread: Canada Reads
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Canada Reads

I’m wondering what people think about the Canada Reads competition. In years past I’ve really enjoyed a lot of the discussion about the choices and I’ve ended up reading most of the 5 finalists.

Beyond my interest in the books themselves, I’ve enjoyed the window into the reading habits, opinions and tastes of some prominent Canadians as they support their nominations. Last year I found it fascinating to listen to Carol Huynh, our Olympic wrestler defend Indian Horse (great book) and Ron MacLean defend The Age of Hope, another great book. This year I’m really looking forward to hearing Stephen Lewis talk about The Year of the Flood (overated book) and Donovan Bailey defend Half Blood Blues (excellent book).

Although I’ve shared my opinion about some of the books, I’m still a little confused about the selection criteria. From what I can gather it’s supposed to be a book that can “change the nation or the world.” I love some of the books, but certainly don't think they measure up based on that criteria.

I’ve read all of this year’s contenders except Annabel, which I plan on reading before the discussions in March. So far my favourite, and the one I feel meets the criteria best, is The Orenda.

So, I would love to hear the thoughts of others, Canucks or non-Canucks, regarding Canada reads. What books do you like? What do you think of the defenders? What do you think of Jian’s moderating? Do the books meet the criteria? Is this a worthwhile competition?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote