View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
papopon
papopon began at the beginning.

Device: Netbook...
Talking

Quote:
I haven't tried pictures, but it's really good with video. It did 720p without dropping frames and it had good image quality.
Nate -- now THAT is really surprising and what has been holding me back from buying pretty much anything so far. Here's the thing: I can't justify the prices.

First, I was intending to get the Kindle since I enjoy reading a great deal, but I have an iPhone and so does the missus, and various physical magazine subscriptions so... it's *yet another device* to have with me on my commute. I don't think you can check your e-mail on the Kindle either (right?) so, even if someone did e-mail me a YouTube link or something, I'd be unable to watch it without, yup, whipping out my iPhone.

So, I'd be out $200 for the Kindle + whatever books I want, and no multimedia features. That's what I got excited about Nate's comment about the 720p video.

I want to know if I should just skip all of this and just get a netbook... I could read PDFs on it, ebooks, multimedia and I hear the battery life is amazing on them at this point. Is this a really big mistake?

With that in mind... here's the products I am considering:

"ASUS Eee PC 1015PED-PU17-BK 10.1-Inch Netbook" on Amazon. I use storecomparison.net, but for some reason I can't seem to provide direct-links to the products, so if you're inclined, you can search directly there or on Amazon.

and...

"Dell Inspiron Mini iM1012-571OBK 10.1-Inch Netbook"

Basically, I just need to know if I am makin' a big mistake. The value seems to be there, but I fear that I'll end up with a super slow Vista-like behemoth of a notebook instead of a delightful readin' experience.

Nate?
papopon is offline   Reply With Quote