Thread: Aura HD Setting up new Kobo
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I personally use static IPs on my home LAN. It makes sense in this scenario with lots of little gadgets like cams and tablets where I might want to telnet or ftp, and don't want the IP bouncing around.

You can definitely mix DHCP and static IPs. The normal way is to set a specific range on the DHCP server and just avoid that range for the static IPs. I set up a small range of 10 IPs.

Here is a windows DHCP server:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcpserver/

I won't try to justify Kobo not being able to set a static IP. My android tablets have this ability, and even my two fairly low price webcams have this ability.
On my home LAN, the only device with a static IP is the router which is also the DHCP server. Anything that needs a "static" address gets it from a DHCP reservation. The addresses I use for the reservations are outside the normal DHCP address lease block. Generally, take me less time to set a DHCP reservation by connecting the device to the LAN so the router has the MAC address and then changing that entry to be a reservation with an address in the reserved area than digging into the device and typing the address, netmask, gateway etc. by hand. If I'm using IPV6, forget it.

Layout is pretty much:
192.168.240.1-9 is reserved for static addresses -- currently empty
192.168.240.10-99 is reserved for DHCP reservations -- currently 4 devices
192.168.240.100-199 is reserved for DHCP leases -- averages 20 devices
192.168.240.254 is the router.
fc00:0db8:27a9:34ef:0000:ffff:ffff:fffe -- router IPV6

For me, the fun part is with the fc00::/7 ULA block for the IPV6 experimentation on those devices that support it. Every molecule in the house with it's own unique address! The router does allow me to connect an IPV6 internal network to a IPV4 external network but some really odd issues at times and setting up NAT64 and DNS64 has been a real learning experience.

I have to agree that I would have liked Kobo to have included the ability to use a static address. OTOH, what percentage of the users that Kobo is aiming their devices at could or would use a static address?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-20-2013 at 04:28 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote