View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
bebop
bebop began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You can try renaming the dictionary files on {drive letter}:\.kobo\dict.
Rename for instance dicthtml.zip to dicthtml-en-fr.zip, and dicthtml-en-pt.zip to dicthtml.zip....
I did this so that I would automatically go to the English-German dictionary (and not have to go through the process of manually reselecting it every time, which is really annoying) instead of English, and yes, this does work ... but good lord what a clumsy, kludgy workaround -Now I have to remember that in my settings "English" is really German-to-English and "German" is really English, and if I want to switch the default back to normal I have to plug the device back into a computer and start fiddling with file names all over again.

The Kobo is a great piece of hardware, and it's dissappointing to see its functionality decreased so dramatically just because it didn't occur to the people designing the interface that some people might prefer a default language other than English.

It would take such a small amount of effort to fix this, yet this one incredibly annoying bug is primarily the reason why I wouldn't recommend the Kobo to friends.
bebop is offline   Reply With Quote