View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
I'm guessing sooner or later there will be an option to get rid of the recommendations, if enough people complain. Nook has recommendations too, by the way. They call it "What to read next".
Yes, on the nook home screen you see recommendations, but the nook also has a "library" screen where you can see your books (in cover view) and no recommendations.

So if you don't like the recommendations (or at least want the choice to hide them), and want other options (like being able to decide what appears at the bottom of the screen - percentages, progress bar, none, etc.), be sure to email kindle support to tell them.

A few other things I noticed from the manual:
Looks like turning wifi/3G off is called "airplane mode", like in the basic K4, and may be more difficult to get to (turning off wireless might not be a menu option while reading a book). Slightly annoying...

It does have parental controls, though they aren't discussed much.

"Enhanced viewing of images and tables is available for select Kindle books, enabling you to both pan and zoom." It will be awesome to be able to zoom in on images (beyond simply zooming to fit the screen, as we can do now, but actually zoom farther in), if that's what they mean, especially for maps, diagrams, or tables. But I wonder which books can have this - I wonder if I'll have to do anything special for readers to be able to super-zoom and pan our images (like the Oz map). OTOH, maybe they just mean you can zoom in (to fill the screen) images, and pan tables - the same as on the Touch - NOT that you can zoom images beyond the size that will fill the screen...

In the specs at the end, it says the resolution is 758 x 1024. I wonder if that's a typo. The Kobo glow is 768 x 1024 - a standard screen size and proportion/ratio.