View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #22
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Agreed, grammar is changing for good and bad. Everyone's got a story about "that guy" who turned in a paper written entirely in text message speak, and then there's my own personal gripe about block formatting and the death of the tab character.

That having been said, I'm not perfect either. I've always had trouble with "its" and "it's," so I tend to use the former exclusively. Maybe its because the teachers made such a big deal about it in school or something; sometimes the best way to make someone screw up is to get them to think about what they're doing.

The other one that annoys me is the whole argument about commas and quotation marks. People have told me that you have to bookend your quotes with commas, even when another punctuation mark (like a period or question mark) would be more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Spending most of my life in academia, I found waaaay too many people concerned more about grammar and spelling than about content. To me, that is just wrong on so many levels, and all too often wipes out that spark of desire to 'learn' that brings people to higher education in the first place.
I ran into the same type of people in high school (and middle school, and elementary school). You could fail a paper based on grammar and spelling alone, without any content issues. All those red "-1" marks can add up real quick.

Thankfully, I didn't run into it in college. People were more concerned about other things and grammar check wasn't one of them unless things got real bad. They were more concerned with papers that could pass turnitin.com and its plagarism check.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote