View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #73
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It seems two years is looking like the consensus.

Valid point. I just thought of it at that moment, and hesitated to offer it. I too like the idea of whoever wins choosing one book and that's it.

However, if the person has a few choices they like and want everyone else's opinions on which to choose, I don't see the harm in putting them to a poll if that's what the winner wants and if they're all considered literature and confirmed first. It would be a legit vote though, so the winner of the poll would be our monthly selection regardless. I see that as a much better alternative to the winner discussing options in the thread before making a decision (although if the winner wanted to do that, it'd be their prerogative).

I'm open to what everyone thinks about the possibility of a winner deciding to do a winner-selected poll on lottery months. I could go either way on it. I don't see any harm in the option (one person deciding the options for the rest of us to vote on could be fun), but I do see the possibility of the process becoming more confusing, since each option would need confirmed first.
I can see arguments for giving so much freedom to the kingpin of the month. I am just concerned that it would be dragging things out. Also people would be voting, albeit in separate polls, for two different things: 1) is this literature? 2) Is this the book I want to read? Confusing the issue IMHO. But it's your call as long as it does not become an expectation. If it is ever my month I am choosing the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think the only wrinkle I'd like to add is that once a person has been book-picker, s/he is out of the running unless/until everyone has had a crack at it.
Great idea.