View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #1989
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have been a user of regular expressions since my early ed/ex/vi days in the early '70s. I can't imagine working on text without them. I remember 'grokking' (shows my age) that a regexp is just a description/template/pattern, and the lights turned on.

If you enjoy constructing regexps, play a bit with (f)lex, a program that generates lexical analyzers that can read files with known structure and split them into usable 'words' (technically, tokens). I am often surprised by how many problems are amenable to solution by a combination of lexical processing and subsequent parsing.

Yes, I know I am weird. Can't help it, and really don't want to change.