Thread: PRS-650 Good old Sony reader!
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
I have a Sony 950 and I love it, but it is old tech..
I am looking for a new reader, but Sony has nothing on offer that can compete with current ereaders. It is very frustrating.

Even Sony's current models can hardly compete with their predecessors like the 650 and the 950. I love the internal silo for the stylus, or the aluminum casing, the audio capability, and the hardware buttons, and I love the 7" screen of the 950.
Sony's current single model has lost all that (except the hw buttons).

In fact if Sony would upgrade the 950 with their latest software, a better battery, a faster processor, glowlight, a higher resolution and more storage I would buy it without thinking twice. I would be prepared to pay at least double of what other brands ask.... even if they removed the 3g.
But for their cheap plastic ereader offerings without audio, without internal silo for the stylus, without glo light, without higher res. etc I am not prepared to pay more than for the competitor models. In fact I think, all considering, Sony's reader should be one of the most affordable readers instead of being one of the most expensive.

Their reader software is very good though and their on board dictionaries are without equal. At the moment the lack of dictionaries in other models is the only thing keeping me from switching brands.

@ Adbosch
That Onyx looks very good. I will keep an eye on that model.
What is the reputation of Onyx? Are their readers any good?

Last edited by Iskariot; 10-25-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote