View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #112
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I was excited to give this a try. Unfortunately, my subject was not the best -- it was like doing heart transplant surgery on a patient who'd been dead for a week. I received a bricked Kindle 3 from a friend. As soon as I saw it, I was doubtful that it could be resurrected. The screen is frozen on the last page he'd read, except it is a negative image -- white type on black. Perfectly legible, so it is not a cracked or obviously broken screen. I opened it up, and checked connections, and put in a fully charged battery. Nothing. Second bad sign: 3 tiny screws where rattling around unscrewed. I found their homes, and put them back, unplugged and replugged all cables, etc. Still no change in the screen, although hard restart showed the normal flashing charge light (green).

Booted my computer from Kubrick CD. Ran through all steps successfully, but at the very last screen I got this:

mounting tmpfs on / failed: Device of resource busy (fail)

I guess that means it is not just the screen? Any ideas?

What a beautiful tool!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote