View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
In what way is it robust? This is just how sync programs work. They can't integrate changes from two machines into a database unless they know exactly how that database works and I'm certain dropbox does not know how Calibre works. All they can do is copy the database files.
Well, actually Dropbox doesn't work at the file level... it creates a patch of the binary changes.

I mean, it is robust in that if it sees that the file it has a change for doesn't match the same base that it got the change from it won't apply the change. So... the corruption you are concerned about won't happen. Sure... they will get out of sync and you will have to remedy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Do you have any reason to believe it doesn't work as I described?
No, I am saying it won't cause corruption which is what you stated. Also, you won't have any "data loss" either... the data will still exist where you made the original change. You just have to manually reconcile the conflict.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/36

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote