View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I don't understand the negativity. I am the farthest thing from an Apple fan. Well, maybe not the farthest... I don't have any negative feeling. But I am not a fan either.
I love my ebook readers. Those are for fun.
My iPad is to read academic articles, which is my job. So I find it functional, but the emotional attachment is not there...

Anyhow... I see some people integrating into Apple's system very well. I recently bought an iPhone, rather than anything else, because my iPad is already setup and I was told I could sync the phone without any efforts. Indeed, restoring the backup of my iPad on the iPhone sync'd everything - from contacts to email accounts.

Call me lazy, but the simplicity of it was enough to make me choose an iPhone over anything else.

I don't feel the need for a smaller LCD device. But, if I did, I would buy the iPad mini. Because I would not have to fiddle with it.

Truth is, the Apple system has other advantages than the locked-in media - which I don't use. It's a system that works out-of-the-box.

And one more thought. I recently had to setup access to 6 different email accounts (2 exchange accounts, 4 imap ones) on both my Outlook on my desktop and on an iPad. The iPad took 5 minutes. Outlook took 2 hours of fiddling, searching the web for setup instructions and lists of settings. Why, I wonder?

That is why I would buy a Mini before a Nexus or a Fire, that is why I think Microsoft can stick its Surface you-know-where. That is why I am not an Apple fan, but I will buy their products. Because I have a short fuse and things i find more fun than figuring out how to jailbreak and/or properly setup anything else.

For people who enjoy that fiddling, I can see why Apple would not be appealing. But I have done my share and I would today rather spend an extra buck and even lose a pixel here and there if that means not having to google the settings of my university's exchange server.

Last edited by vxf; 11-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote