View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #35
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
I do a lot of research & writing, so not being able to access my books, highlights, and notes on my laptop, or to copy/paste quotations from them, is very inconvenient. I guess a lot of people read only on mobile devices these days, but I did just read a statistic saying at least 50% of people still read on their computers.

One other option to keep an eye on in the future is Txtr. I tried it a while back, but it just didn't work at all. I gave it another shot yesterday, and I was able to upload an epub and read it on both the iOS and Mac apps. It syncs page position and bookmarks, but although the iOS app supports highlighting and notes, the Mac app doesn't - neither does it support selecting/copying text. Also you must be online to use the Mac app at all. So that puts it a distant second to Google Play at the moment.

The Mac app has a button for "connect to eReader", but I don't know what that supports. The help documentation is dreadful - poorly translated German, and so out of date that it doesn't even mention the desktop app, only the web reader which apparently doesn't function anymore. That's pretty much always been my experience with Txtr - broken software and bad documentation. I wish they would get their act together.
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote