View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 AM   #45
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosediver View Post
Hey guys, just found this forum after looking for a solution to a problem I'm having with my new Kobo Mini.

I had a Sony Reader for years before this and have loads of books saved and yet to be read. When reading books I've put on it that were not downloaded from the Kobo site it sometimes messes with the settings on the document. For example, I recently started World War Z. From the very first page the margins were too far in, and would not adjust. After 50 or 60 pages they got even narrower, and then later it got down to one letter per line, making it totally unreadable.

The next book I tried to read it dropped all the commas and quotation marks, making it near impossible to read. Even in books that it doesn't affect this bad, every now and then it drops the last couple of words of a sentence or throws in a nonsense word in the middle of a paragraph. In another book it randomly put the text in italics or underlined it. These files are all fine when I open them on my laptop.

Anybody know why this is? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm on the verge of binning the Kobo and going and getting a new Sony.
Oh dear! Don't bin it, it doesn't sound like a Kobo-specific problem. And, I've never seen it happen. Especially not so randomly. Where did you get the books from?

What is very important to know is that Kobo very obediently does what it's told. If there's any coding in the books you read, Kobo listens to the coding and you won't be able to change it from within the reading settings. So, if there's strange margins in the book, the Kobo will give you the strange margins.

Other readers and some (all?) computer epub readers override these kind of settings, which is probably why you don't see these formatting issues on your Sony or on your computer.

Have you looked inside the book? You can change .epub extension to .zip, and then unzip it and take a look at the files. Alternatively, you can open the .epub in Sigil which will allow you to tweak the code. In your case, the easiest I think would be to get Calibre if you don't already have it, and convert the books with Calibre (epub -> epub), and change some settings during the convert. You can have Calibre remove any specific formatting, and if there's no specific formatting in the book, Kobo will let you change settings from the reading settings of the book. I've attached a screen shot of the Calibre settings I use as an example.

P.S. A regular on these forums has the exact same avatar as you do! Very confusing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal.png
Views:	783
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	101941  

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-25-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote