View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I didn't really expect to get so clear an aswer, actually. I was hoping for an "in the such and such range." Perhaps they just decided to admit to a price recently. I figured the worst they could do was tell me they couldn't tell me anything, so....

I share Charles' hope that retailers will pick the thing up. I can't imagine why they wouldn't, they carried those ghastly iRocket things about ten years back.

The piece they all seem to be missing is that in order to get the average consumer to use such as this (as opposed to just us technophiles) they're going to have to figure out how to get the prices down to something the average consumer will pay. iRex seems to be planning to allow their content providers to foot some of the bill for the end user, perhaps Sony will do something similar, such as offer a few free books from their service to get us started.

I can't help wondering just how fast a processor an electronic reader really needs to have. Could they not do the job with, say, a nice, cheap 286 chip? Do they really have to be heavier hitters than my desktop PC? Maybe they'll have an "econo" line in a year or two, once we early-adoptors have defrayed some of their dev costs.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote