View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #26
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post

The argument is that math "teaches you how to think," while literature is just stuff to be memorized. Never mind that the opposite is true; when there's only one correct way to get an answer, how much room is there for real thought?
I disagree. Knowing how to approach a math or logic problem, and then reach a provable result, is great brain training, and even in my various HS math classes, we learned several different approaches one might take to one problem.
But I also disagree with the other side, in that literature also can teach you how to think, just differently about different stuff.

Oh, and two spaces after a period. It's how I learned, it looks better when it works, and hurts nothing when it's not needed.
And it hasn't screwed up my programming ability at all.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote