View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #894
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

The more I've been thinking about textured backgrounds, the more convinced I become it would be simplest and smartest for Kris not to lose too much time over implementing this functionality -- although I consider it crucial for improving Marvin.

My suggestion to Kris: just make a a modest sample (say, 15 or 20 pictures) of textured backgrounds available in Marvin. This would simply demonstrate to the Marvin user how nice textured backgrounds can be. So, the small sample of 15-20 textured backgrounds should be well-chosen, representative.

Other than that, just give us a button, please, to upload our custom textured backgrounds for use in Marvin.

Why? Because it's infinitely easy, using Google Images search, to find just the right textured background for you. Why should Kris even attempt to oblige each of our different tastes and preferences in terms of textured backgrounds? Just let every Marvin user find their own preferred textured backgrounds using Google Images search, and that's it.

I tested yesterday how incredibly easy this is. For Day Mode, I prefer a "wood" theme as my textured background, so I entered "wood texture" (without the quotes) into Google Images search.

And here is what you get: https://www.google.com/images?q=wood...D4vRsgaD0oGwBA

That's enough wood textures of all sorts of varieties to make your head spin for 3 days. Similarly, I prefer a black-and-red textured background for my Night Mode reading, so all I had to do was to enter "black red texture" into Google Images search...

... and the engine immediately spewed forth: https://www.google.com/images?q=blac...SsFsaytAasuoEw

Isn't that wonderful and eye-popping? Why should Kris even try and compete with Google Images search? It's pointless.

Not to mention that there are entire online catalogs of textured backgrounds, neatly and logically organized and categorized, like these two:
Further, if Kris wanted to distribute any of these textures directly inside Marvin, he would first need to clear the copyright issue for every single such image, and I'm sure he has more important things to do. Whereas if users can just use their own, custom background textures/images, then their use, after locating any nice picture via (for example) Google Images search, conforms with "fair use for personal need only", on one's own personal iDevice only.

To conclude, below are 2 screenshots with "wood" and "black/red" textures I was able to collect using Google Images search engine yesterday within only a few minutes, for potential future use in Marvin. Looking forward to that day, because solid-colour backgrounds definitely are dreary (for me) to behold!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	future_Marvin_textures.png
Views:	294
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	101353   Click image for larger version

Name:	future_Marvin_textures-CameraSync_upload_to_Drobpox.png
Views:	276
Size:	838.9 KB
ID:	101354