View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #88
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
Hello Andrys,

No, I don't mind sharing a bit of information. I bought my Kindle Keyboard 3G
[...]
Here's something interesting I discovered this afternoon! I was out on the balcony reading a previously-downloaded book sample on my Kindle. I hadn't bothered turning on our home network so, no wireless. I decided the sample was good enough to warrant buying the book at $10, and since Amazon IS supposed to provide continuous 3G connectivity to the Amazon Kindle store (and Wikipedia), even after the monthly 50MB limit has run out, I didn't bother running in and turning on our wireless -- I just pressed Buy and waited for the 3G connection to click in so that I could complete the transaction.

Whereupon I got a message saying I couldn't connect, and would I like to join a Wi-Fi network so that I could do so? {...}
This may not be triggered by the over 50M state.

I have had exactly this behavior here at home in the UK. The problem goes away in an hour or two or if I go for a walk to another cell.

What I theorise is happening is that the local cell/ tower is heavily loaded and is discarding lower priority requests (or the network itself has problems so even voice is problematical).

Thus if Amazon is only paying for a lowish data priority (possibly different for web browsing and Kindle store) the signal strength is indeed three bars but nothing can be sent.

Sometimes a message then follows suggesting I try a restart.

As to 50 MB a month being reasonable, I use the web browser to get a free daily newspaper at 1-5 MB per day
http://mythic-beasts.com/~mark/rando...an-for-kindle/
or download a book from Baenebooks.com at less than a MB.

So a couple of weeks outside Britain would get me over the limit.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote